Friday 4 November 2011

Fun and forest walking

Just a quick entry from Merran.

In the last week we have stayed (backwards) in a pilgrim hostel in a walled town, hostel part of a tennis/sports complex, enclosed order convent in another walled city, room in an ancient church building with a contemporary art exhibition downstairs, pilgrim room part of a hospital complex, hotel, and monastery.

Last night Soph and I were in hysterics playing I spy. Maybe we were a bit tired. Walking to Monteriggiano today was another beautiful one, through forests and trails with the approach to the walled city absolutely magnificent. I am loving the climbs and realizing that I can do pretty well up them now, striding out, even though I am a bit breathless. in the middle of one such climb today I got a phone call on my mobile from a friend who is staying in Florence, wanting to make plans to catch up tomorrow in Siena. Sounds great!

The hostel here is again very welcoming. We were warmly greeted by the local priest who brought packets of pasta, milk, and checked there was enough rod in the fridge for our tea. We are staying with a young German graduate who is walking the via Francigena prior to taking up his first job, and a Frenchwoman. Good to chat and eat together.

Tim will say more I am sure.

love from Merran

No comments:

Post a Comment